Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stories about confidence




Story 1

Asher loves to play the game where we go back and forth professing our love for one another. I'll say “I love Asher SO MUCH” and he'll say “I love Mommy SO MUCH.” This will go on for a long time, and at the end he will cut me off by saying, "no, no, I love Mommy SO MUCH," and then I'm not allowed to say it anymore. (We'll also do it by saying "I love you more", but I prefer the "so much" version).

The other night we were playing this game in the car when he switched his to “I love myself SO MUCH!” I suppose I should be offended, or at the very least, concerned about him being a little too into himself, but really I’m just love that at this age he has so much self-confidence.

Story 2

My mom sent Asher an e-mail with a bunch of photos of pandas. He wanted to scroll the screen up and down “All by himself”. His typical quotes in these types of circumstances…”I do it. I big enough”

When I managed to get in there long enough to help him out he takes this as evidence that he did it himself. “I just got it Mommy. I did” - he told me authoritatively.

Story 3

I’ve forgotten why, but one morning I was particularly exasperated by Asher’s failure to use logic (yes he’s only 2.5, but it can still be very frustrating). When I was out of the room Deenesh tried teaching him to say “Mommy, logic is not my strong suit.” Instead when I returned he said “Logic is my strong suit!” Yeah. Sure it is.

Story 4

Asher is also incredibly supportive. When I came home from my trip to DC and brought home some leftover Indian food, Asher took the bag, looked in it and carried it to the refrigerator saying “That’s nice, Mommy! That’s helpful.”



Here's a link to an old post about loving yourself.



2 comments:

AZV321 said...

Awesome!

PS- I especially liked the part where you said he was "2.5" years old. Very social scientist of you. :)

Tara said...

If only everyone could keep at least 1/2 that much self-confidence, and self-love as they grow up!