Asher LOVES art and writing.
He spends the vast majority of his down time with paper, pens, and scissors (and increasingly crayons, but he has a strong preference for pens). (And I really cannot figure out what he does with the pens b/c seriously, I can never find a pen anymore)
He regularly begs to get to use the dot glue. Which is just regular Elmer’s glue but is called dot glue b/c of our constant admonishments that he only needs to use a dot.
Before she left the daycare, Asher’s teacher mentioned Asher’s particular passion for art. More so than most kids he loved to stand by her side and watch the projects she would put together for the kids, and to work on them.
Of course, part of this probably also had to do with the fact that he loved Ms. Jessica, but even before that he had shown a love for paper and pens. And scissors. He acquired my set of 20 or so scrap-booking scissors. At least they finally are getting some use. 

When Jessica was urging me to foster Asher’s love of arts and crafts, I made the comment that I felt bad for Asher since given Deenesh’s and my talents in that particular department, he was probably out of luck in terms of any innate talent.
Deenesh later corrected me. After all, someone on his side of the family has art hanging at the Smithsonian in DC, so maybe Asher isn’t totally out of luck after all. Even if it is his 2nd cousin twice removed. 
So I thought I would take a moment to highlight 3 of Asher’s recent masterpieces.
1.
“Bate Chocolate” - yes, it looks like a simple circular scribble. BUT what makes it cool is that he loves the song “Bate Chocolate” on his Spanish video (which means stir the chocolate) and so I liked his creativity to relate the motion to the art and color on the paper.
2.
“Baby Shower Bliss” – okay, I came up with the name for this one. After the kid-friendly baby shower two weeks ago... (aren’t they cute!),
...Asher was allowed to play in the playroom while Tessa, Sophia and William watched TV. Asher of course gravitated to the – yup, paper and scissors. Jennifer later went in to check on him and discovered that Asher had somehow also acquired 6 tubes of glitter glue. While he had done a masterful job, we still determined it was probably time to call it a night . I‘m not sure why I like this one so much, I think b/c of the colors and b/c even though he wasn’t supervised with the glue he did a really good job.
3.
“Table Stripes” (I named this one too). Not sure I really get it, but he was very serious putting this together, tearing off strips of painting tape, and then occasionally adding a flourish on the stripes with his pen. Couldn't you see this being in modern art museum somewhere? so who knows. Perhaps he's got the makings of an artistic genius after all.
1 comment:
I forgot to tell you - when he was here the other day, he looked at the mat for Katya (the Baster's new puppy) which has paws around the edges. He looked at it and immediately said, "Look, Blue's Clues." Clever boy.
Post a Comment