It’s probably been about 6 years since Deenesh and I gave up on traveling for Thanksgiving and have just the whole turkey shabang for ourselves. So it’s a nice bonus to have my mom living down the street so we can actually have a family Thanksgiving this year.
My mom very delicately broached the subject with me as to how we would proceed with the meal. Thanksgiving is her favorite holiday so this was a serious business. We decided to do it at our house and then we got to the sensitive business of divvying up the food preparation. Mom quickly volunteered to do the turkey and the stuffing. And the mashed potatoes. And the minced meat pie and the cranberry pudding.
“Um. So we’ll take care of the vegetables?” I said.
“Okay. That sounds good.” She replied.
Some might think I might take offense that perhaps she was questioning my cooking abilities, or that I would feel sad at missing out on Thanksgiving preparation.
Those people clearly don’t know me. All I could think was “score!”
So the meal was wonderful. Mom came over to do the preparation, Asher picked out the turkey himself (yeah Trader Joe’s for antibiotic free humane turkey), I helped peel potatoes, and Deenesh took Asher out to the playground.
Before my mom came over I was scrubbing down the kitchen and trying to dodge the helpful advances of my 2 year old ("I do it! I clean!) until I finally had the brainstorm to send him to his own kitchen to scrub it down.
He did a very thorough job.
Ah Asher. After coming home from the playground draped over his father in a semi-comatose state after having used up all his energy at the playground (and then forcing his dad to carry him all.the.way.home), he then rallied. We put him down for a nap at 1:30. At 3:30, yes TWO HOURS LATER and when he would normally be waking up - he was still going strong singing to himself and chatting in bed. (I tried to get in a nap myself, but it was difficult to get any sleep over his chatter). He finally drifted off around 3:40.
So it’s perhaps no surprise that he looks pretty spacey-drowsy in all the photos since he ended up with a much shorter nap than normal.
The meal turned out beautifully, though Asher maintained his long-time disdain for all things green “I no like it” (to the point that he tries insisting he won’t eat until he takes the one.single.green.bean off his plate), took small, forced bites of mashed potatoes (!) and cranberry jelly, before also declaring “I no like it”.
So he basically stuck to the stuffing and the turkey, eventually concluding that he really only wanted turkey with skin. *sigh* what happened to our kid that would try anything?
After dinner we took our desserts to our neighbor's house to join in their dessert family extravaganza, the highlight of which was the adorable kid parade running around the house with Asher bringing up the rear.
Click here for Asher's first and second Thanksgiving posts.
4 comments:
Mom cooks everything? Sounds great to me!
My son refuses to touch anything green, orange, yellow. White food, only. But no mashed potatoes. And blueberry yogurt, randomly! He used to eat everything, too. Sigh...
I love it, Thanksgiving dinner sure looked yummy!!! Asher is so good about cleaning! I really loved that you posted links to his first 2 Thanksgivings, how can this already be his 3rd???
Your feast looks delicious. Erik also said "Bleh, no like it!" to most of Thanksgiving dinner, too. Eh, more for me.
You guys need to eat more "good" green. Green jello. Mint ice cream. Lime sherbet. Honeydew melons. Grapes. Edamame (my favorite). Eventually he might change his mind. Especially if you say, "Ok, but I thought you didn't like green stuff." each time he reaches for some.
Post a Comment