I remembered this quote, or story perhaps, about how you never see baby pigeons. Even when there are hundreds or thousands of pigeons, you never see their babies.
I was trying to remember where I heard it. I thought perhaps back in school in science class – perhaps a lesson in investigation, something along the lines of not assuming something doesn’t exist just because we can’t see it.
Anyone out there figured it out yet?
Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller?
Yeah, it’s a quote from the 1987 classic, “Harry and the Hendersons”
Dr. Wallace Wrightwood: You've seen hundreds, thousands of pigeons right?
George Henderson: Of course.
Dr. Wallace Wrightwood: Have you ever seen a baby pigeon? Well, neither have I. I got a hunch they exist.
Ah. My sophisticated knowledge.
So here it is – your proof. Your baby pigeon. Well, in this case a baby squirrel.
Thanks to Deenesh for this excellent photojournalistic investigation. Well done.
(I'm putting my money on Amin as the one who got the reference. I'm betting he may have even figured it out from the title).
2 comments:
You're crazy!!! There used to be hundreds of pigeon nest at the library at UT and you could see the baby pigeons every year! Of course, baby squirrels are rare, very nice!
While I risk my reputation as someone who can instantaneously recognize any TV and/or Movie reference, I've never actually seen all of Harry and the Hendersons. But the quote did sound familiar, if that's any consolation.
Next time you make a Back to the Future reference in your blog, I'll be all over that. :)
Post a Comment