In the last several months whenever I do an activity with Asher I judge it in terms of its “energy ratio” – that is the amount of energy I expend versus the amount he expends. Thus I try to avoid anything with a high Mommy ratio, and try to seek out activities with a high Asher ratio. For instance, a playground spin where Asher sits down and I have to hold him on while pushing it and running in circles, is a pretty high Mommy ratio at about 4:1, where a slide, where he has to climb ladders or stairs and then slide down and run back to climb up again, all while I stand around watching, has a pretty good ratio at about 1:3.
So sledding? Let’s see, 25 + lb Asher loaded down in layers of winter clothes gets carried while I hike up a steep hill through about 2 feet of snow.
Yeah, I’d say that’s a ratio of about 132:1. It’s a good thing we don’t usually get this much snow.
(and sure, in the video Deenesh is the one sliding down with him – just to let you know, Asher was having a “mommy” day, so he generally insisted that I be the one to carry him up the hill. And everywhere else. Again, carrying a baby - a bad energy ratio)
No comments:
Post a Comment