Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Asher loves Nanas

Asher loves bananas. Almost as much as he loves phones.

We were really good about keeping the phones away from him for a while, although now he knows all their hiding places and is getting much more wily about figuring out how to climb up to them.

I think we finally caved about the phones when he started bringing them to us when they rang. Since this included squeezing through the opening between the side table and the bookcase and back around the lamp, it was hard to resist letting him hold the beloved phone afterwards. He was so earnest it was hard to explain to him that you didn't want to answer it because it was a telemarketer. (Although I think my new plan will be to answer to telemarketer and just let them talk to Asher for a while).

So we've caved and now Asher has (limited) access to the phones. (For a while we were able to distract him by keeping our old phones charged and by talking on them a lot - but he's too clever for that now).

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to indulge him and I called my mom to talk to him. Because really you need a Grandma to tolerate loud babbling, button pushing, occasional hang-ups and disjointed conversations. (Although I am excited about this new telemarketer idea. I'm actually excited about the next telemarketer that calls). (Oh, and I will give a shout-out to Robert, who also endures these calls when Deenesh needs someone to talk with Asher).

So, back to the story.

Since he likes to pass the phone back and forth between us I put my mom on speaker phone while they chat. My mom talks with him, and tells him that she's his "Nana", and then she starts explaining that a "Nana" is different from a banana, which she knows is very confusing because they are both called "nanas" and as she is explaining these nuances to him, Asher puts the phone down, walks across the room and climbs up the chair to get himself a banana. Apparently he thought the woman on the phone had an excellent suggestion.

And perhaps this means he likes Nanas better then phones after all.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Gotta love those Nanas.