Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Following last year's successful Valentine's, this year I decided to get even more creative.

We no longer let Asher eat artificial coloring, so it would be cruel to tempt him with those adorable red heart lollipops.  After my dismay at the sheer volume of candy he received last Valentine's day, I decided I would no longer contribute to the problem.  But I still wanted the magic of last year's photo Valentine.

My solution.

Behold - Pencil holding Valentine's!



I had the kids hold a wooden stake that was outside the construction site at our neighborhood pool, and then "transformed" it into a pencil that they were using to write their friends a Valentine's day message.

Get it?  Get it?

Honestly, it didn't turn out quite as brilliant as I planned it in my mind.  I couldn't find a font that looked like handwriting, and it turns out pencils are a fair bit bulkier than lollipop stems - they bend the photo more and they look quite a bit thicker than the stick the kids are holding.

But all in all, I think they turned out okay.

Constructing them took a little longer this year since Deenesh helpfully suggested that Asher would probably love to help assemble them.  And Asher did love it.  I a little less so since Asher wasn't content to just use the little slider to cut the photos in half and instead was desperate to get to use the razor to make the pencil holes.  (Thankfully I had only pulled out a scrapbooking cutter with a teeny tiny blade about 1mm deep.  I can only imagine if I had pulled out the real razor).

*sigh*  Good bonding, right?

2 comments:

Jamie Peters said...

The results are well worth the effort. I do hope that there will be two of them waiting for Nana when she finally gets back. Hopefully that will be late March or early April. I don't want to miss all the Spring beauty in my yard - daffodils, dogwood and azaleas.

Tara said...

I think they turned out incredibly well - you are amazing!! Next year I think Deenesh needs to do the Valentine assembly :)