Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas, A Very Confusing Holiday

As a one-year old, Asher loved this ornament that my mom gave us. He kept pushing the button over and over to hear the song, "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas".


This year, as a two year old, he has an even a deeper fascination.

First there is trying to figure out what is going on visually.

"What she doing?" (everyone is a she, he hasn't figured out male pronouns yet)

And then there's figuring out the words to the song.

"She no want a doll? Want a hippopotamus?"

I think we spent well over an hour discussing it when I first brought it out.

And then he would just sprinkle references to it randomly throughout the day.

"She no want a doll. She want a hippopotamus." "Hippopotamus TOO BIG! No fit."

Apparently Christmas can inspire some pretty deep questioning.



No comments: