Let it be known that at 2 years and 3 months, I think this might just be my favorite age so far.
Before I jinx it by saying that, let me state that there is still plenty I am not a fan of at this age. For instance,
- 1. Whininess and tantrums
- 2. Complete dislike for sharing, even if it’s a food he doesn’t like or is too full to eat (although I will say in the last few weeks, he’s gotten better, and if you ask him to share, he is likely to give you a bite. But a small one)
- 3. Has to be the one to do everything, open the door, close the door, pour the milk, and if you forget for even an instant, a meltdown ensues.
- 4. To motivate him to do common tasks (brushing teeth, eating dinner, picking up a toy, going to get an item), we have to play the game of saying he can’t do it, or say that we are going to do it. He won’t just do it if we ask him to do it (or he will say he will but will just wiggle around and not actually do it).
But then, there’s so very much that I love about this age. Here are some recent highlights, and just some random memories that make me happy (since it’s been, oh, a while, since I last posted).
- 1. Even though it can be annoying, I love his independence. I love that there are so many things that he can do for himself, and that he wants to do. And it’s awfully cute when he corrects our behavior (“Feet down!” )
- 2. He says “bless you” when we sneeze.
- 3. He loves to help.
- 4. So sweet and loving. Huge hugs and kisses.
- 5. Physically I just can’t imagine him ever being cuter. His face, his mannerisms, his cute little toddler body. How when he runs it is with the gusto of a toddler but is on the verge of being a real, kid gait.
- 6. Mentally it is fascinating to watch him put together ideas and thoughts. And then to make real sentences (though rudimentary) out of those thoughts. And to just hear how his thought process goes with new ideas.
- a. For instance, in the car he was eating a peach and got to the pit. Asher: “No eat?” Me: That’s right, no eat. Asher: “Daddy, eat?” Me: “Oh no. No one eats it. Daddy no eat it. Mommy no eat it. Maybe an elephant. Maybe an elephant will eat it. Asher: Long pause then, “Hand it to elephant? No throw it?”
- 7. Initiates new games. Like saying “no kiss me!” after I kiss him, but then giving me a kiss, thus resulting in a kissing war until we both end up laughing like crazy.
- 8. If his trains fall off the track he kisses them better before he puts them back on the track.
- 9. Me: “do you know how much I love you?” Asher: “too much!”
- 10. The other day the three of us were walking and playing on the Jamestown beach and we were having one of those truly perfect evenings together, and Asher looked up at me and said wistfully, “No go home?” And it so perfectly captured all of our feelings of wanting the moment to last forever.
- 11. Asher will sometimes throw things that he should hand to us – not to be naughty, but because he is two. The other day he threw his toothbrush at me and I gave it back and said “Please hand it to Mommy” He threw it again and I handed it back and said “No, hand it to mommy” and he sighed, came over to me, and patiently arranged my hands the way we arrange his so that he can catch a ball, and then he tossed the toothbrush into my hands.
- 12. In the last week he has suddenly quadrupled his bedtime entourage. In addition to Gobi, he now also is accompanied to bed by the 1) teddy bear 2) an old stuffed dog of Deenesh’s and 3) a wooden cat. (This is a sudden transformation since until this time he has had no interest whatsoever in anything stuffed).
- 13. We recently bought him a belt and slippers. For some reason he loves them. This morning Deenesh woke up with Asher and I could hear from the other room “My belt! My belt!” until Deenesh put the belt on over Asher’s pajamas. Tonight he fell asleep with his belt on (again, over his pajamas). And he loves putting his slippers on (even though they frequently don’t stay on long) and wants to wear his slippers to various locations.
- 14. The other day when I was cuddling him before nap, I rested my cheek on the top of his head and he pipes up and said “kiss it!”
2 comments:
Thank goodness you FINALLY updated, I have missed you!!!! What a wonderful (and a bit frustrating) age!
I love two, too. Thanks for sharing these sweet little stories!
Post a Comment