Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Caterpillar

A couple weeks ago we found this guy in the flowers under our mailbox - turns out that one plant that I wasn't quite sure if I had put in there intentionally or if it was a week, and that I didn't really like anyway so kept meaning to take out - was milkweed.  A favorite treat for monarch butterflies.  I considered taking it inside with us to observe, but was worried we wouldn't feed him right or something and would accidentally kill him, so we decided to just observe him.  


I was pretty bummed when he disappeared and berated myself for not just taking the chance and taking him inside.  Until, about a week or so later when I managed to find this....


What a beautiful chrysalis!



 This time, I just left him where he was but zipped a butterfly netting around it.  (Which almost resulted in disaster when Deenesh came home and thinking we had accidentally left it out and it was in danger of blowing away in the storm, yanked it up!)

We faithfully checked on it every singled day until one day - we found this!





So - the short story: Caterpillar found! Caterpillar lost:(  Chrysalis found! Chrysalis captured.  Butterfly born.  Butterfly fly.

No comments: